Sunday, January 2

Can't Escape It

Over break I purchased a new book, House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski, with the notion that I would have plenty of time to read it before AP English started up again with a new book selection. Needless to say, I accomplished very little over the holiday, and unfortunately most of my book remains unread. I say unfortunately because I really would have liked to finish, but because of the book's ridiculous complexity it was hard to stay vigilant for more than half an hour.

The book was so complexing because there were roughly three plot lines going on at the same time, and they all twisted together and interrupted each other at really inopportune moments. The book begins with an introduction by an unnamed narrator, and he expresses his regret at becoming involved at all (this is kind of  a scary novel). A old man, named Zampano, had recently died, and upon investigation of his apartment the narrator finds a manuscript for an unfinished novel. The novel focuses on a documentary (which the narrator reveals to be entirely fictitious) in which a family moves into I guess what I would call a haunted house. From as far as I got in the novel (not very far) the house does not seem to be haunted by ghosts; however, there is a door in their living room that should lead outside, since there is no more to the house on the other side of the wall. But instead the door leads to an intricate labyrinth of darkened hallways and a seemingly never-ending staircase. And there seems to be some sort of sinister creature living in all this empty space. Although I normally do not enjoy scary movies or novels, this one is not written to be startling or frightening. The events are recored very matter-of-fact, yet they are quite disturbing nonetheless. Anyway, that is the main "plot" of the novel. The writer of this manuscript, Zampano, interjects with numerous allusions and opinions and even quotes from authors and experts (many of them also fictitious). On top of all that the narrator, or the person who found the manuscript, comments throughout on anecdotes from his own background and also how his life is being affected from reading the story. This is probably a really confusing summary, and I apologize, but I did the best I could.

A typical page from House of Leaves
While I was reading this book I could not help but relate things back to One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. When the narrator finds the manuscript for House of Leaves, he seems like an ordinary enough guy, mentally stable and whatnot. Then everything starts to unravel the further he reads into the manuscript. He beings to have irrational fears, paranoia about leaving the house, even experiences hallucinations. As he begins to question his own sanity, I cannot help but parallel him to Chief Bromden, a character also crippled with paranoia and fear. Luckily, Bromden recieved help from McMurphy; I will have to continue reading to see if someone will come to the aid of the poor narrator in House of Leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment