Monday, April 11

Don't Ignore the Narrator

We narrators are so under appreciated. Some would go so far as to not even consider us a character. What fools. Clearly, my pivotal role in Wilde's play is unsurpassed by any of the "real" characters. Does anyone else appear in every single scene? No. Only me. After all, how would one possibly know that Jack was to be speaking "Gravely" and not out of sarcasm when he spoke of being found in a handbag, were it not for my objective narration (14)? Or that the scene in Jack's garden takes place in "July," instead of the dreary winter months, if not for my observation (14)? The bulk of my work goes unnoticed and ignored, but without my seemingly "frivolous" comments, so much of the context of the scene and characters would be lost. Thankfully, Ms. Serensky seems to understand the importance of my role, and selected the reader of the narrator with care. She chose Chase, whose perfect balance of monotone and detachment makes for the perfect narrator. When Chase read my line, "It is to be surmised that they are bills, as ALGERNON, after looking at the envelopes, tears them up," I very nearly passed out from joy. However, things took a turn for the worst when it came time to read Act II. Chase, assuredly confident from his performance from the other day, began taking the narration into his own hands. When my line clearly reads: "Coming over very slowly," Chase decided to mix it up with his own interpretation and read instead, "Coming over quickly" (21). However much this slip-up infuriated me, I cannot deny that other than that Chase's performance of my lines has been wonderful. I hope all hopeful narration-readers follow his example.

1 comment:

  1. Mariel! This post was quite wonderful! When I saw from your title you chose to focus on a narrator, I assumed you would pick the voice from Everything Matters or Chief Broom, but you instead to focus on one of the more nonexistent forces in our novels, and I was wonderfully impressed! As seen through my exclamatory syntax.

    ReplyDelete