Monday, April 25

Worst Moments Ever.

Just kidding! These are the best--good times from start to finish!

10) Finding out we were reading Angela's Ashes last year. It's been one of my favorite books for a while, so I was naturally very excited to get a chance to discuss it in class and learn deeper meaning and all that jazz. I was not disappointed, for "this most goodly book" entertained me for a third time (Shakespeare 4.2.70).

9) Passing the AP Comp Sci exam. I am SO BAD at Computer Science. If someone pointed a gun at my head and told me I to code I would stare at the screen and cry until my assailant killed me out of pure pity. Comp Sci, in short, was "a messy and heartbreaking and overall pointless affair," that I am more than happy to put behind me with the knowledge that in the end, I prevailed (Currie 143).

8) Having a piece of artwork win 3 awards at Scholastics. This was really, REALLY unexpected. I was honestly surprised my ostrich drawing got in the show at all, and for it to be nominated for an American Visions award was so gratifying. I would like to add my drawing was not nominated by "The Ostrich Society wackos" (Currie 238).

7) Mr. Maas learning to say my name properly. Although I will admit, there are numerous variation even within the McGuiness household, Mr. Maas's pronunciation was pretty awful.  As many people have said to me, "There is something in [my] name that inspires absolute confidence," and to have Mr. Maas say to poorly was distressing to both me and my fellow classmates (Wilde 10). He got the hang of it eventually, and the first time he said my name without sounding like it was causing him physical anguish I was very pleased.

6) Reading about arrested development in psych. This lead to an awesome conversation with Alex Kreger and Jeff Marino about the merits of the television show and our favorite moments.  So what if the entirety of my studying for the AP exam is done by watching old episodes of Arrested Development? For I believe, "it's what I know, not how I know, that matters" (Currie). Too bad I don't know anything...

5) First day of high school. I was so intimidated. So tiny. So excited. The day went by in a blur. Actually, all of high school went by in kind of a blur. I really liked high school, and "I confess it is my shame to be so fond" (Shakespeare 1.3.112-113).

4) Getting accepted into Cum Laude. Although sometimes it may seem that "I am bound for life and education" to my schoolwork, it was all worth it when I received the letter that invited em to join the Cum Laude Society (Shakespeare). I am very honored to be inducted with my fellow recipients, and proud that my handwork throughout high school has paid off.

3) Getting into Northwestern. This was my dream school, and as even though I will be going to Ohio State in the fall, I still feel great accomplishment at being admitted. Reading the acceptance email was definitely one of the most thrilling moments this year, as I could "could hardly read [the letter] without crying a little" (Wilde 33).

2) Receiving the grade on my Angela's Ashes paper. This one is double thrilling, since I did the best on this paper than I had on anything else in her class, and it is still one of the best papers I have ever written. But.....I forgot to submit it to turnitin. Minus 12 points! Such elevation! Such despair. The very thought still stings like an open wound. But as a wise voice once told me, life is "Everything, the good and the bad alike," and I have never forgotten to submit to turnitin after that incident (Currie 292).

1) Sending in my acceptance money to Ohio State. Although I was initially kind of reluctant to do this (because of Northwestern and all..), I soon found great comfort and joy in knowing for certain where I am going to college. The whole thing still seems kind of surreal. But I know for certain that "intellectual pleasures await" all of us next year (Wilde 21).

1 comment:

  1. Mariel, that's really impressive that your artwork won so many awards! I didn't even know about that. I also felt relieved after sending in my own acceptance/housing money to Ohio University. It makes me nervous to think that I'll be on my own soon, but it's exciting at the same time. I'm sure you'll do great at Ohio State, although I hope your professors are able to say your name better than Mr. Maas.

    ReplyDelete