Thursday, February 24

Hatin' on the Oldies

Personally I prefer more modern prose.
While looking for a poem to use for the poetry project, I realized that I greatly prefer more modern poetry to the pre-1900 selection. Almost everytime I found an appealing poem, a quick glace at the publication date only brought me sadness and disappointment: published after 1900. There's a reason almost all the poems we have had to analyze for poetry papers are published in the modern era... they're better. Let's face it, it can be a real challenge finding deeper meaning in a poem that uses words like "loth" and "forsooth" every couple lines. Modern poetry is much easier to relate to, understand, and appreciate. I know why Ms. Serensky mandated the poems had to be pre-1900. It's because she knows we need to have experience analyzing and reading poems from this time period for the AP exam, but she does not want to be the one to root through musty old poetry books to find appropriate poems. On one hand I feel a bit validated that Ms. Serensky is willing to risk her perfect passing record on us choosing appropriate poems, but I'm also annoyed--limiting us to pre-1900 poetry took a lot of the enjoyment out of the assignment. If there was no time-period limit on the poetry project, here are some poems I would have rather chose:

1. "splash" by Charles Bukowski

2. "(love song, with two goldfish)" by Grace Chua

3. "Myself" by Edgar Albert Guest

4. "The Guitar" by Federico Garcia Lorca

No comments:

Post a Comment