Thursday, February 3

Memorable Moments in Amsterdam

Before we started reading Amsterdam, Ms. Serensky gave us a little background information on the writing style of Ian McEwan. She mentioned that in every novel of his a certain moment always sticks out in her memory as particularly poignant and memorable. I read McEwan's novel  Atonement a few years ago, and there is a moment from that novel that clearly sticks out in my memory, so vivid that I can almost recall it word for word. It still amazes me that one sentence has the ability to change the entire novel; all of my prior thoughts and assumptions had to be completely reworked after the introduction of this new information. While reading Amsterdam, I am keeping a close watch for a similar moment, since Ms. Serensky warned it could happen anywhere in the novel. There have already been several shocking moments so far, but as far as I can tell, none of the moments have stood out as particularly important. Clearly, Clive's potentially life-changing decision not the help the woman in need stands out as a very important scene. The exact moment I began to consider this part for novel-changing status was on page 95: "Clive knew exactly what he had to do. Even as he eased himself back down the slope, he understood that his hesitation ad been a sham."Initially, I thought Clive was assuredly deciding to go down a help the woman, since he seemed so confident in his decision. However, when revealed in the next sentence that  Clive had instead crept back down the slope, I only felt shock at his brash, seemingly uncaring choice. Clive's decision to sacrifice the safety of the woman for his music marked a significant shift in persona, but is this scene hallmarked as the most memorable moment in the novel? Right now, I feel like it comes close to Vernon's uncovering of Garmony's cross-dressing photos. Again, McEwan carefully depicts a moment that completely shifts the reader's entire view of not only Garmony, but Vernon as well. Although I see both of these moments as being hugely significant to the novel, I still feel like McEwan has more tricks up his sleeve to turn our views of Amsterdam upside down.

No comments:

Post a Comment